Weekly Yoga Journal: Oct. 4-10

This week I took a 45 minute Power Vinyasa Flow with Briohny Smyth. I wanted to try a YouTube version of a class I have done before and Vinyasa was what I found. This class was very different from the Vinyasa class I have taken in person. 

Briohny had a lot of inversion opportunities and I would have taken them if I hadn’t decided to take this class outside and on concrete. I was afraid to attempt an inversion without supervision and without a better base. However it was more of a power practice. She had a lot of strength involved. 


I feel like yoga is a ritual on its own. Choosing to practice yoga on a regular basis is a ritual. The ritual starts when get ready and go to the studio is apart of the ritual on its own. As well as the individual practice on its own. The definition of a ritual is ceremony consisting of a series of actions performed according to prescribed order. This is similar to any one type of yoga practice. 

 

For example in the Ashtanga yoga we did last week. That was a series of calls performed by the yogi for the students to then execute. Each pose was timed and with little variation it would be very similar to any other Astanga yogis class. So those separate classes would fall under the same ritual. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Yoga Journal: Sept. 20-25

Weekly Yoga Journal: Sept. 13-18